by Roger McManus
In our last segment in this series, we discussed the rules Facebook enforces regarding keeping your personal page and business page separate. Now that that concept is clear and you have created your new Facebook business page, let's talk about the best ways to use it to grow your census.
Think of Facebook as a micro-site that you can and should use for commercial purposes. It is not a direct sales tool, however, like eBay. You do yourself no favors when you make a direct sales pitch there. Consumers are wary of such language. Instead you want to create a social posture. Your goal for this page is to persuade people about your business’s authority, knowledge and personality. They want to be persuaded before committing to a sale.
A social medium like Facebook allows a business to show its audience who it is, what it’s about, what valuable knowledge it can share and what support it can offer. The home care topic will play powerfully among certain members of your community, the members you want to impress. There is no need to attempt to speak to everyone.
To most effectively accomplish this, there are specific things you need to do.
People are curious
When someone has found your business through Facebook, they want to check you out to learn as much as they can about you before following the link to your website. Your objective is to be as helpful as possible. Provide them with everything they are looking for.
While you can showcase your services, it is a bad idea to attempt to directly sell anything on Facebook. In fact, Facebook has adjusted its complicated algorithm to make it harder for businesses to organically gain traffic in a bid to stop them from being salesy. The strategy is not arbitrary. Facebook wants to push you toward their paid advertising services. The good news is, should you also give Facebook ads a try, Facebook advertising is not like any medium that has ever existed in the history of marketing. Never before could you define almost exactly those to whom you want to send a message and target that precise audience.
In the interest of full disclosure, this would be a good time to tell you that the content service Roger is describing is one of the new offerings from Rowan Consulting Services, the publisher of Home Care Technology Report. Learn the details at RowanReputationResources.com.
Use the 80:20 rule
80 percent of your content should be more "fluffy," meaning educational social material. The other 20 percent can be promotional. Promotional does not mean, "Buy This!" It means "Wow, we have just added a top-notch Transitional Care RN to our team and we are excited about the addition to our professional staff!"
The key is to keep a steady flow of information coming through your Facebook posts. To accomplish this, you need only to produce posts that play to the interests of an audience that likely has older parents approaching the time when they may need in-home help. You can write these yourself, re-post items written by others on Facebook or subscribe to a program that produces and personalizes home care specific content on a daily basis. Whichever method you choose, it will keep your name top-of-mind when the day arrives for them to pick up the phone.
Next week: The Theory of Facebook Advertising for Home Care Agencies
NOTE: Click here if you missed the first three chapters in this series.
©2016 by Rowan Consulting Associates, Inc., Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved. This article originally appeared in Tim Rowan's Home Care Technology Report. homecaretechreport.com One copy may be printed for personal use; further reproduction by permission only. firstname.lastname@example.org