Found in the MedPAC 2015 Report to Congress, Chapter 9:
- "Overpaying for home health care has negative financial consequences for the federal budget and the beneficiary..."
- "In 2013, about 3.5 million Medicare beneficiaries received home health care, and the program spent about $17.9 billion on home health services." (Approximately $5,100 per beneficiary served.)
- Percentage of Medicare beneficiaries using home health care: 9.3%
- MedPAC recommendation to control home health fraud, waste, and abuse, perpetrated by a tiny minority: reduce payment rates for all home health providers.
Found in the Government Accountability Office report released at about the same time:
- Improper payments to Medicare Advantage plans totaled more than $12 billion in 2014.
- MedPAC recommendations to control MA fraud, waste, and abuse: none.